ACC Young Professionals Forum Presents: Washington 101 Workshop
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Registration Fee: $300 (Registration capped at 30 participants)
Summary: This one-day workshop will provide attendees a concise overview of how the federal government works and its impacts on aviation and airports. The program will include information on the role of the FAA, TSA, the U.S. Congress, and aviation associations in formulating policy that shape our aviation system. Participants will also learn about how legislation is shaped and influenced and the general characteristics of effective advocacy techniques.
Who Should Attend: Young Professionals that are new to the airport development industry and have an interest in government affairs and policy.
8:45 - 9:00 a.m. | Welcome and Introductions
9:00 - 10:45 a.m. | Part I: The Federal Aviation Administration
Moderator: Bob Furey, Hoyle Tanner
- How Does the FAA Work? (9:00 - 10:00 a.m.)
- FAA/ARP Overview - Kent Duffy, FAA
- AIP/Funding Overview
- Working with the FAA: Strategies for Success (10:00 - 10:45 a.m.)
- Peter Kirsch, Kaplan Kirsch & Rockwell
- Damon Smith, Mead & Hunt
- Matt Wenham, C&S Companies
10:45 - 11:00 a.m. |Break
11:00 - 11:30 a.m. | Part II: The Department of Homeland Security
Moderator: Larry Studdiford, Studdiford Technical Solutions
11:20 - 12:30 p.m. | Part III: Aviation Associations
Moderator: Matt Griffin, ACC
- Association Overview
- Association Representatives
- Paul Feldman, GAMA
- Christa Lucs, NBAA (invited)
- Shelly Simi, NASAO (invited)
12:30 - 2:00 p.m. | Lunch & Transition to Capitol Hill
Part IV: Advocacy & the U.S. Congress - 2253 Rayburn House Office Building
- 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. | Why Advocate? And How? Moderator: T.J. Schulz, ACC
- Steve Hall, ACEC
- Cathy Connor, WSP
- Michael Higdon, Secure Nexus
- 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. | Capitol Hill Perspectives Moderator: T.J. Schulz, ACC
- Holly Woodruff Lyons - House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee
- Michal Reynolds - Senate Commerce Committee
- Alex Marsten - House Homeland Security Committee
Reception at Associated General Contractors Townhouse
Thank you to our Sponsor!